Sunday, May 11, 2008

Henna Batik

(edit: Updated with final pics!)

I'm starting another batik project finally. Batik is a method of staining cloth using dye and wax-resist.

I use melted parafin wax, applied with old paintbrushes (the parafin ruins them for painting), and dye from a tie-dye kit at an art supply store. I prefer cold water dyes to hot.

I drew the outline of my project on fabric last summer. It's taken me this long to put parafin to cloth again. This is my initial waxing. I've painted areas I want to remain white:


Then I went in with a paintbrush and painted dye onto the fabric where I wanted it:


When it was dry, I covered these areas with wax. Then I painted the body with yellow dye. When that was dry, I applied wax over it. When the wax was cool I scrunched and dipped the whole thing into a pink dye-bath in my sink.

The pink doesn't show up well in this photo, but it's a light cotton candy type of pink. This is hanging to dry on the line outside.

When it was dry, I brought it inside and waxed in the designs I wanted pink:


Then I gave it a light blue dye bath, which rendered the unwaxed parts a light purple. This will be my last design element color, before turning the rest of the piece a dark blue/purple.


After it was dry, I applied the last elements, which were words. Then for the main color, instead of using a bath, I used 2 different things. One was the blue and purple dye colors straight out of the squirt bottles, the other was a bowl of these two mixed. I squirted dye and painted as I went, creating what I wanted- a universal celestial type feel, rather than a plain color field. I also rubbed some of the dye in on the existing wax cracks, to give it the same look it would have had if it'd been in a dye bath.

ta-dah:This is the un-ironed version of course. The final step is to gather a bunch of newspapers, and my old iron I keep for crafts. Then with paper on top and bottom, I "iron-out" the wax. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

4 comments:

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

Wonderful piece! Can't wait to see the "to be continued..." part -- I've not used wax resist for anything ever yet. It's got my interest for this summer though :)

And I looove the hummingbird you did for prom a couple posts ago... read that you weren't happy with the forward wing, but wanted to say I love the whole piece and what a stunning thing to show off at prom!!

Wanted to say, too, that the most difficult designs for me are when someone wants something exactly as someone else drew it. If I feel like I have latitude to play when henna'ing, then I can usually make it my own and end up liking it. But stuff where I have to make it look like the other person's drawing exactly -- ugh! Sooooo hard. Even if I watercolor pencil first -- just difficult.

Anyway... lots of miracles!
k-

Vickie said...

Loved that you popped back on to add the final picture - beautiful.

Gabriela said...

Hello Noel,

Thank you so much for participating in the Crown Making Class.
I couldn't find your email address...Check the new post today for links to my other blog.

Warm regards,

Gabriela

Leah said...

beautiful, beautiful work! it was so fun to see it in progress. thanks for sharing all the great pics!