Thursday, January 14, 2010

When we last left our hero...

She was dealing with a broken ankle.

The ankle healed and I was walking by mid to late March.

March also marked the first meeting with a counselor at NACA (naca.com) Naca helps people with good payment histories get a home without a down payment or closing fees. I got approved for a mortgage, and by May had found my condo. B was the one who spurred me on to get a place of my own. We went to the first workshop in January.

After a lot of delays, re-inspections, and general nail biting, I closed on the condo on June 29th. I love it! It's in a town home style, 3 bedrooms, 2 and half bath, with a garage and the kitchen of my dreams.


In early July Rose was over at M's with Emma (M's dog) when she got bit by a venomous snake. The bite was on her muzzle. M cleaned it right away, and call me and we met at the vet. She was in a TON of pain that night, and she swelled up something awful. I'm very lucky she lived.


Late July my youngest brother and his wife came to see my new place. We also went to the GA Aquarium. I'd never been there before. We got to see the Titanic exhibit as well.

Me and M at the aquarium.


Painting in progress for my wall

In August I had my housewarming / blessing. M cooked and was a great co-host.

Over Labor Day Weekend we went to DragonCon, as per our usual. What fun :) My uber loot was a photo of me and Felicia Day, which she autographed the next day!


In October I got to see my best friend from high school, Shannon. It was the first time in 20 years we'd seen each other, and we picked back up where we left off. She and her family took me to Wakulla Springs in Florida. We saw manatees, gators, birds, turtles and so on.

Shannon on left, me in middle- my High School graduation

For Halloween M and I went to two parties. He went as Billy Mays, and I went as the Fairy Goth Mother.



In November my father passed away. He'd been ill for a long time. Suffice to say that the cancer didn't kill him, but the cure sure didn't make him healthy. I'm a daddy's girl, and took the loss harder than I thought I would. I went to Mom's in Florida for the funeral, and then over Thanksgiving stayed in Atlanta. Christmas was different of course, but the hardest thing for me was seeing my mom mourn.

I was actually glad to get back to Atlanta, to my home, and to the familiar things I know. My high school town was great to grow up in - 5 minutes from the beach, 45 from Disney! But as an adult, the highlight of my days there was taking Rose to the dog park to play. Once back in town, M and I went out for sushi.. probably our favorite type of meal out.

December 29th I had foot surgery. Since the summer I'd had a sore swollen place on the bottom of my left big toe. Podiatrist said it was a "bone accessory". Kind of like a spur, but not attached. It was just sitting there in a tendon. Every time the tendon stretched, it rubbed against the bone. Six months later it was getting worse. A small white circle showed up. Doc lanced it, it was pus filled. We decided then to take it out.

Surgery- I've never had surgery before. I was very very nervous about it. Turns out it was easy. All I did was sleep, and I don't remember being told that it was going to happen. One minute I'm in the O.R., getting prepped, the next minute I'm waking up, feeling my toes tingling as they dress the area.

Well, that's enough for tonight. Will update with more another day.

0 comments: