I don't remember how long ago it was that I started hennaing my hair. It began as a way to get the red color I loved without the $120 salon pricetag. I started going grey in college (more silver than grey) and henna turns those into highlights. I have naturally dark brown hair, and the henna is mostly noticeable in the sunlight. I may get my hair chemically lightened this summer, just so I can have brighter henna hair again.
I thought I would share how I henna my hair. Firstly, I use body art quality henna, from hennalounge.com. She also puts together an oil blend that smells like chai tea.
Into a bowl I put henna powder, and a tea concoction. It contains black tea, whole cardamom pods, and cloves. I like these for their scent. I add some of the chai oil, and some olive oil.
This I put in a warm dark place for a few hours (I heat my toaster oven to 150, turn off the heat, and place the bowl covered with plastic wrap inside).
When it comes time to put it in my hair, I grab some plastic shopping bags, vinyl gloves, and head to the bathroom. Lotion is applied around the hairline so that if I goof, I don't have an orange brown stain there when I'm done. I section the hair out, and apply the henna with my gloved hands to the hairline (where the new growth greys show most). With a brush I'll grab a new thin layer, put it over the first one. Add more henna, repeat.
When all done, I cover it in a plastic bag. Oh so pretty I know....
I leave it in a few hours, then shower it out. This part is pretty messy, looking like I'm washing mud out of my hair.
The end result though, leaves my hair shiny! Something about the way henna binds to the hair shaft. I also don't have to use conditioner anymore in my hair. YAY.


0 comments:
Post a Comment