Tuesday morning Sonny dropped me off at the West Seattle Fauntleroy Ferry that goes to Vashon Island. I was to meet a couple of artists, Kara of MotherHenna and Siren of The Deep from Dream Out Loud on the island.
Backpack slung heavily over my shoulder, the day was overcast, grey, and chilly. As I walked away from Sonny towards the toll booth, a feeling came over me. It was almost a feeling of deja vu. I felt like I was back in Japan again, my life in a pack, heading out for great, unknown adventures. It was just me and the world. Everything would be new. People to meet, sights to see, life to experience. I was enthralled, totally present in the moment.
This was one of the few times I missed having a decent camera on my trip. All the photos on this travel blog were taken with my iPhone. This view was so picturesque though, I had to alter it for a black and white photo look. I think photography is one means of expression that I long for from younger days. Being able to look at the world through a lense, and see a point of view that ordinarily might get missed.
Having bought my ticket at the booth, I didn't realize that I was supposed to enter this small building to the side (where most people wait) to get my ticket scanned before I boarded. I was too busy walking around just looking at everything. The water around us appeared icy, cold and clear. I could see to the bottom, and wondered just how deep it was. I didn't take a photo for fear of dropping my phone into the depths.
This caught my eye in the building. Recycling is a huge deal in the Seattle area, more so than it seems to be here in Atlanta. I'm not sure why the motto "A Very Ferry Thing To Do" tickled me, but it did.
The ferry arrived and we waited for passengers to disembark. Like most ferries, this one carried cars as well as people. When it was time, I made my way on board. In the upper level deck, there was a cafe like area. People could buy coffee, drinks, snacks, and there were seating and table areas. I went out to the front deck once the boat got underway, stood there for a bit till the wind had chilled me to the bone, then went back inside. As we neared Vashon Island, I stepped out again for a pic.
The plan was for me to arrive at the dock and wait for the bus that went into town. Not wanting to be the last person off, I headed down to the disembarkation area before we docked. Surely the planets were all aligned, for guess what I saw on the ferry with me?? The very bus I was supposed to take into town. So I got on board, paid my fee, and was on the bus when it drove off the ferry into the great unknown of Vashon.
Seattle is very metropolitan, and cruising through Vashon was like stepping into the countryside. Not the countryside of Georgia, of course, but an environment not unlike what I remember from the series Northern Exposure. The tall fir trees, expanses of nature with small houses here and there inbetween. There was one main drag down the middle of the island. Vashon is about 8 miles long, and the town center seems to be at an intersection with one stoplight. This is where I got off the bus, and looked for Cafe Luna. I had no idea what it looked like, and just as I was about to try and find someone to ask directions, I saw it.
Inside I got a wonderful breakfast sandwich (I was cold and hungry!) and Oregon Chai tea. When Kara arrived, we talked excitedly, and I listened to her adventures she'd just come back from.

My design on left, Kara's on right
At the end of our time together, Hawk drove us to the ferry. This time I took a "commuter" ferry that carried only people, ran only during peak commuter hours, and would take me to downtown Seattle instead of West Seattle.
My cousins picked me up and we drove to the University district for a dinner of what Karla claims to be the "Best Brazilian Food" anywhere outside of Brazil. Real, authentic, it always reminds her of home. We ordered drinks and an appetizer. The drink was made from a sugar cane liqueur and packed a punch. The appetizer was phenomenal, and my favorite part of the whole meal. It was almost like home fries, except instead of potatoes they used yucca. The fries were sprinkled with parmesan cheese and came with a green hot sauce for dipping. Very hot.
The food itself consisted of poultry or fish in various sauces. Rice and beans are a staple in Brazil and each entree came with lots. I was almost too stuffed to try the dessert, a Brazilian version of flan. Wonderful! I need to see if I can find a Brazilian restaurant here that's not a churrascaria (steakhouse).
I was sad that night, knowing my trip was over. I got up early the next morning, packed my things, made the bed, and ate breakfast. My shuttle ride to the airport came a little after 8:30, and two hours later I was at the airport.
Since I've been back, I've missed dearly the cool weather. Atlanta seems more humid and hot now that I've experienced what for me would be spring or fall weather in July. Would I want to move to Seattle? I don't know. I think the constant overcast days would get to me. In addition, I love that my henna business is established here. I do miss my cousins though. Guess that means I have to return next year :D


3 comments:
Yes yes come back next year! :) Post collage of photos in my blog today, too. Was soooo great to meet you in person -- makes me feel that much more connected to your blog now! Maybe next year, we can meet you over in downtown and do a day at the Seattle Art Museum if you'd like an art day like that.
Lots of miracles and a big hug to you!!
k-
It looks like the two of you had a wonderful time together. The henna art is amazing and wonderful.
So glad we had the chance to meet, at least oh-so-briefly, during your day of Island Adventuring....
And what a treat to have the opportunity to see the island's special magic through your eyes, as captured with your warm words and lovely photos! Come on back and see us anytime! :) ~Deborah
Post a Comment