Monday morning Karla took me a Park and Ride where I caught a bus to downtown. I remember feeling very small, with an almost "lost" feeling. I was supposed to meet my high school friend Sonny and his wife today. I'd heard from them last night, but not the details for this morning. So, it was 10:30am, and I found myself sitting at a Starbucks (natch) waiting. Waiting to either hear from Sonny, or to get up the courage to go out and explore. At this point I was cursing my last minute decision to leave the AAA tourbook at the house. I had maps, and knew where I was, and where the Pike Place Market was. That was about it.
Pike Place Market is a famous tourist destination in Seattle. For one thing, you can see grown men lobbing fish at one another. Also, it was where a scene in Sleepless in Seattle was filmed.
I heard from Sonny's wife, and walked to the market to meet them across the street from it. Ironically, I passed 4 Starbucks in the 4 blocks I walked, and settled to wait in a "Seattle's Best Coffee" place. They do love their coffee here.
When we met up, we walked over to the market. Immediately we found the flying fish place, and a crowd of people. How funny was it though, that everyone was waiting to see them throw fish, and no one was buying fish so that they could throw?
Most of the market was similar to farmer's markets back home. Large variety of seafood (fresh of course), flowers, produce. Tons of people. At one point there wasn't even room to walk. It was just enough space to stay standing upright and inch your way forward while people did the same thing in the other direction. And then people in front of you would stop, and look at what was for sale in a stand. I found some smoked salmon for B as a thank you gift.
There's also a lower level that wasn't as crowded. Here was more arts and crafts, gifts and souvenirs, as well as curiosities. I bought my cousins some soapstone hearts that would go well in their living room, and later picked up a Barnes and Noble gift card since they enjoyed reading.
At one end of the lower level, we came out to a cobbled street area. Sonny evidently, knew of a "underground" tourist attraction.
The WALL of GUM
Yes, disgusting and fascinating, it was a huge wall where people for decades have been pressing their used chewing gum on top of other people's used chewing gum. It made my skin crawl, but I couldn't *not* take a photo of it. I didn't, however, have any gum to contribute. Such is life.
We walked around downtown as Sonny and his wife got some errands done. I think I've walked more in the past few days than I had all summer! We stopped for lunch at a restaurant in the basement of Nordstrom's. They used to work there, and everyone remembered them and greeted them as old friends. The food was fantastic, and it was the best salmon I've ever tasted.
Finally we went back to their apartment and collapsed. Their place was gorgeous. Better than that though, was the view. At sunset you could see Mt. Rainier.
Ryan, another friend from high school, came over that evening and we ate cheese and crackers and drank wine on the patio. Within 10 minutes though, I was fetching my jacket from inside. It was cool and windy. The wine flowed as the night wore on, the wind taking with it the sounds of our laughter and jokes.
As Ryan went home, I made myself comfy on the couch, looking forward to tomorrow, an adventure on Vashon Island.
Social Entropy
3 weeks ago

4 comments:
Hi Noel! I hate to interrupt your story here, but you are the only person I "know" who might be able to answer this question: how do I know if a henna artist is using actual henna or something like hair dye? We have lots of henna artists who work on the boardwalk near my home in Venice, CA and I was thinking of getting my hands done prior to Burning Man this year, but my boyfriend got a huge piece all over his body a few years ago that washed/wore off after about 2 days because the unscrupulous "henna" artist didn't use henna!!!! I thought maybe you could give me a tip or two so I don't have the same thing happen -- I have actual tattoos, but want something beautiful on my hands for the week of Burning Man -- wish you were close by!!!!!! :-) Thanks for anything you can share...
Hi Helen :)
The most comprehensive source for henna is http://hennapage.com They list information about "black" henna here: http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/whoisppd.html including what to look for, and what the paste should smell like. There is also a listing of reputable henna artists for CA.
I've heard recently of some unscrupulous vendors selling their henna with brown hair dye instead of black.
Also, be sure not to have on *any* sunscreen or lotion, and to clean the area well before the henna is applied. Hope that helps!
You may have said this and I just missed it. It doesn't sound like you are from the Seattle area - if that is correct - how did you end up with so many friends settled there?
I am enjoying your travel chronicles - it is nice that you are breaking the into sections.
Hi Vickie :)
My parents are from Oregon. On my mom's side of the family, her two brothers are in the Portland area. Her eldest brother's kids stayed in Oregon, while the other brother's children ended up in Seattle.
After my folks were married, they moved to the East coast for my dad's job. Eventually they moved again to St. Louis, where I lived till I was 15, then Florida where they still live.
My high school and college friends living there are pretty much coincidence. My online gaming friends live all over the US, and there's a large group in Seattle.
Post a Comment