The night before the trip, I felt very anxious. Excited, but also anxious. Now, I usually feel anxious the day of the trip, until I am at my gate. I can get there 2 hours early, and wait- reading or whatever, but get very stressed at the thought of missing my plane for some reason.
So I as anxious the night before.... and it hit me. B had offered to take me, but later that morning, or I could take a cab and leave earlier like I wanted. After studying my fears, I realized my anxiousness the night before actually had to do with lack of friendly human contact before departing Atlanta. Weird. So I called B and he agreed to come pick me up the next morning.
I also take only carry-on. Ever since I came back from Japan, and stuff was stolen out of my checked luggage, I do carry-on. This is the first time I've flown since I got my CPAP. So it was an additional carry-on.
We got to the airport in record time, and I got to my gate with time to spare. I bought my usual plane food, since it's mayyyybe a couple dollars cheaper to get it before you board than buying it on. Usually fresher, too. The flight was about 5 hours long, and the TVs on the back of every seat weren't working right, so no movie or TV channels (unless I wanted to pay 2 bucks). I read magazines, watched Princess Bride again on my iPhone, and kept track of our flight through the plane's TV interface.
As we approached Seattle, it looked like we were soaring over a sea of cotton. Seattle was cloudy, 52 degrees, with the promise of sunshine that afternoon. Fifty-two! I was glad I brought my jacket.
In the distance I could see the mountains. How gorgeous! It was an amazing feeling as we skimmed the clouds before diving beneath their fluffy frothy waves to the city beneath. I could almost imagine I was on a great whale that was dipping into the sea.
Once we landed, I got in touch with my cousin's wife Karla and made arrangements for pick up. They lived north of Seattle, and the airport is south of the city.
Their new house is Beautiful! Four bedrooms, 2 and half bath, with a lovely combined area for eating /living and kitchen. The backyard was cozy, and I could see it from my guest room window. She gave me the tour and we talked until Ken came home. They are geeks like me, and play an online game called Vanguard. And sure enough, they got me playing the rest of the evening.
...to be continued.
Social Entropy
3 weeks ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment