Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Rest of My Week

The rest of my week has gone well. I'm slowly getting back into the routine of school without the panic of Monday morning. I'm also waking up at 1am each day to take ibuprofen, so that I'm not waking in extreme pain.

One of my Indian parents recommended turmeric for my ankle. One, making a paste of turmeric and water and salt to apply to the area before bed, and wrap it up. I did this last night, wrapping with toilet paper like I would for henna, then putting a black sock over it all. Immediately I could feel a cooling, almost tingling sensation in my foot, and the swelling was down this morning. Usually as soon as I wake up and get moving it starts swelling again, but it's better than that so far.

The other way was to take turmeric root, grate it, then press it to get the juice out and into some warm milk. This, he said, would help with pain, as well as be good for my cough. About 10 minutes after I finished it, I coughed, and sure enough, it was looser and less tight than before.

YAY for cultural remedies!

Today at school we have "Beautiful Beginnings"- a kind of honors day for Pre K and K. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to stand up and present them, or sit down and present them, or have someone else read for me or what. We'll see.

Tonight M is coming over to watch the rest of Sukiyaki Western Django- a Japanese spaghetti western spoken in English, and it has Quentin Tarantino in it as well. Heavy blood advisory though... not for children or squeamish.

I've closed my henna business through the end of February. I figure by that time I should be well enough to walk around at gigs without crutches.

0 comments: