Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Routine

My day is broken into 2 sections... the upstairs and the downstairs. The big divider is the stairs. The method for getting upstairs is left knee and right foot. Press up with right foot, put left knee on the next stair. Repeat. Getting downstairs is easier. Mostly it's a sit-scoot-sit-scoot. The crutches go with me each time.

I have to plan everytime I leave one area. Do I have my phone, my pain meds? Is there anything else I need to take with me? If I go upstairs to use the bathroom, I'll end up in the bedroom for several hours, then eventually come back down again. I end up on the couch for several hours. I find I'm using every other muscles BUT that left foot area to get around. I'm sore from the crutches, from crawling and pushing myself up onto or off of things. It gives me a great appreciation for the mobiity I used to have, and for those that have even more limited mobility than I have.

I've also been very grateful for friends that have come by to check on me, walk the dog and feed her, or get things for me from the kitchen.

I have a check up appointment tomorrow, to see how it's healing. If you practice reiki, I'd love some long distance energy to my left ankle! :D

1 comments:

Nadya said...

youch!!
Hope your foot is getting better!! I just started working on my valentines from Mama Henna's exchange this weekend . . .

One of my FAVORITE items in my self care kit is clay - good old powdered (usually green) clay! If you have some facial mask, that can be used, or you can take ~ 1/4 cup clay & cover it with a bit more water, let that soak in. (I get the dry clay at our natural foods store)

Any time a joint hurts, I slather on some clay (I keep some mixed up in an old salve or cream container, with a 'skin' of water overtop.)
Slather some directly on, or put some on a narrow strip of flannel & wrap - wherever it's sore. I have the top of an old sock to use around that, so I can sleep in it without it flaking off.
Great on sore joints, bites or stings, ingrown toenails (a co-worker didn't have to have the doc remove a 2nd toenail, (~ $80) the infection was almost gone after using clay for ~ 3 days!
Years ago a goatkeeping friend used clay on my son when he'd been 'spurred' by a rooster, & the infection was gone in a few days - & I've kept some on hand ever since! 'healing Clay' is a good little booklet on various uses & stories

Blessings!