Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year Y'all!

I had a great New Year's Eve and Fantastic New Year's Day.

First, some pics:I had done my hand over Christmas with a design that didn't last long, and looked messy to me. Wanting to bring the New Year in with a new design, so I didn't wait till the old one was completely gone. The palm is a symbol of Lakshmi for prosperity. What better way to usher in 2009?

M's friends had invited me a few days ago to their NYE cards and fireworks night. I was told to just bring my favorite appetizer. Having just bought a healthy cookbook, I made a low calorie version of Artichoke Dip. But since I've had over a week off, and all the sleep I've wanted, a creative burst of energy took hold of me and wouldn't stop. One of the other things I got for Christmas was a family recipe book Mom put together. So I made some of those. I did pretty well, and didn't chow down on cookies.



Peanut Butter Cup Pecan cookies. Take regular sugar cookie recipe, roll dough into a ball, then into pecan meal, and press half a peanut butter cup into it.


Jam cookies. Sugar cookie dough, roll into a ball, roll into green sugar, use knuckle to make a depression (my thumb made it too big), then put a little bit of strawberry-rhubarb jam in center.

Not photographed was the cranberry and coconut ones. The night of the party, I also made a Greek Salad from tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, and kalamative olives.


M arrived at the party and started to make his infamous guacamole dip. He took time out for crazy photos with me.


During the party lots of families came. Waves of children would run up the stairs and into the livingroom. Grown-ups chatted and laughed. We got together to play "Apples to Apples" and before we knew it it was 11:50pm.

Dick Clark really sounded old this year, but the count down went well. We passed around champagne, and at midnight M and I kissed and we all toasted to the New Year.

Then- FIRE... or more correctly, fireworks :)

A great time was had by all.

M came over afterwards. I think we got to sleep about 2am or so.

Morning was a lovely sleepy, slow-waking up time. Sunshine and hugs and smiles. Even some puppy love from us to Rose. I wrote down my thoughts for 2009. Not resolutions exactly, but things to bring into my life. Tied up in ribbon from the May pole, and burnt with wood chips from when it was cut down during Samhain (stump becoming Yule log) I felt it was a great way to put out into the universe my intentions.

M and I went out to a swanky place for brunch. It was awesome... I can't say more. I'm not sure if the food was best, or seeing M's reaction to it all (he's a gourmand) or just seeing M all dressed up. All in all, a great 24 hours.

Tomorrow M will help me take down my tree, and then work on my back. Evening will probably be spent with friends, maybe some Star Wars RPG.

0 comments: