Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Art Journal Update

Time to update with some art journal entries.


This one echoed what I was feeling at the time. Like I had a whirlwind of voices in my head going about how messy my apartment was, and trying to have that bleed over into my self-perception. I started writing "Messy" over and over again, and as I did so I realized it also looked like the word "Merry" so I wrote that several times.

The rest of it reads: "From Messy to Merry, Art is the connection. One woman's trash is another woman's treasure. Art from anything just because you can. Art for anyone, just because they are. From Merry to Messy and back again. I am not my house and it too shall be clean again."



This one started as a background for a journal workshop I'm taking, but it evolved on its own. I was listening to Weezer's Pork and Beans song, and really identified with the lyrics, which are scattered across the page.



This one also started as a background for the workshop, but as I went through magazines and saw things I liked, it evolved. Many times I'd cut things out not knowing what they'd go to. The skirt came first, it's actually a photo of a handbag- it just looked like a skirt to me.

The tying element for this piece came from a quote from Oprah in her magazine, talking about a letter Marianne Williamson wrote to her: "She wrote me a letter saying this: 'Until you can accept the magnitude of your function, your unconscious mind will sabotage any attempt to show your full magnificence." That really spoke to me, so I put it here.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

my therapist has a piece of collage art in her office - all anorexia and body image related - while the topic is "SAD" the collage is beautiful.

yours are beautiful too - I always love to see them and show them to my girls.

Vickie said...

youngest started in the middle of Voyager and watched until the season finale (sp?) then she started at the beginning and watched back to the middle.

Yesterday was the Middle and she was SAD to be done. We drove to the downtown library last night and picked up the first year of next Generation. She is going to watch her way through it and then watch all the Star Trek movies (which we have). Then Deep Space 9(library has it) and Enterprise.

When she is done with all that - I have only seen odds and ends of the original Stargate and none of the spin off. so, we can watch those together.

I had never been to the DVD section of the big, downtown library - LOTS of series - very old and new - and TONS of movies. They don't send to the branches and you can only have them for 3 days and only 6 per library card - but worth the trip if several of us (family) go at the same time - 3 of us x 6 per card - meant 18 possible last night - we only checked out 8 - but only one of us is watching them. If several us watch old series over the summer - worth the bother.