Friday, April 25, 2008

Breaking the Rules

By the end of the day yesterday, I was doing a lot better. Not sure what it was, but if you were out there sending good thoughts or vibes my way, or prayer, then it helped. Thank you.

The doodle in my last entry helped me to learn something. I was coloring it, following lines and having a kind of logic to how I went about it. When I changed what I did to be more aesthetically pleasing on a small bit, I heard my brain say:

"You can't do that, it's against the rules"

Wow. I heard my ego thinking. I heard the inner critic. And it helped me to realize why I have a lot of frustrations. I am rule based. I think I have to comply with "rules". Apparently it doesn't matter who makes the rules, or what they're about. Frustration comes when I see or perceive others that get to break or bend the Rules, and I want to but don't. Frustration comes when following the rules inhibits my joy and creativity.

I guess I need to learn when to break the rules, and that's it's ok for my inner self to break the rules.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

This post is awesome, Noel. I think you're realizing a truth (or what I consider to be a truth!) that can totally transform your life. There are no rules, only choices! This is one of the main reasons that my family lives the life we do, as we do. Nobody does anything because they "have to", or because it's "the rule". They do things because it's their choice, makes them feel good, gets them closer to their goals and works best in their life. We've all been so conditioned to believe in external rules, but they just aren't real! Keep kicking that ego voice in the butt baby, and listen to your true soul. :)